Period 1 Words and expressions
We concluded our meeting at 9 o'clock. _________________
What can you conclude from these observations? _____________________________
He concluded that he would wait a little longer. ________________________________.
He concluded to quit on pay day. _____________________________.
①The meeting concluded after two hours. ____________________________
The flowers faded for want of water. ___________________________
The color fades when exposed to light. ________________________________.
The sound of the footsteps faded away. ___________________________.
Sunshine faded the tapestry. _________________________________.
They attempted to finish the task before July. _____________________________.
They attempted the life of the dictator. __________________________.
He made an attempt on the world record. _________________________.
Her attempt at poetry was a failure. __________________________.
Several attempts have been made on the president's life. ______________________________.
attempt to do sth.=try to do sth./seek to do sth._______________________
an attempt(n.)one’s attempt to do sth._________________
/make an attempt to do sth.______________________
His letter confirmed everything. ___________________________.
The latest developments confirmed me in my belief. _________________________.
The queen confirmed the treaty. __________________________.
The balloon burst. ___________________.
Her door was thrust open, and Mrs. Page burst in. ________________________________>
I am bursting with pride. ____________________________.
After ten days of rain the river burst its banks. __________________________.
② 突然打开;冲出;炸出 ③使胀破
I watched her, fascinated. _________________________
The child was fascinated with his new toy. ___________________________.
The snake fascinated its prey. _______________________________.
The key words are underlined. __________________________.
This example underlines the consequences of bad management._________________________.
We must concentrate our attention on efficiency. _______________________________.
Our population is concentrated in the big cities. _______________________________.
She couldn't concentrate on a book very long. __________________________________.
center on/ upon/ around _______________
Their talks always center around politics. __________________________.
To our delight, our football team won. ______________________________.
She ran back home with delight. __________________________________.
He enjoyed the delights of New York\'s night life._______________________________
I'm delighted that you are back. _________________________________.
We were delighted to read your novel. ___________________________.
The clown delighted the audience. _______________________________.
Waldo went to the city hall to register the birth of his son. ___________________________.
The thermometer registered 70 degrees. ______________________.
I registered at a hotel near the train station. ____________________________.
Period 2 Warming-up
1.Something about The Guinness Book of World Records
2.The Guinness Book of World Records is a world famous collection of records in human life ,including alll specific skills.
Take the quiz below and see whether you can guess the answer
Step 3 listening
answer the questions in the SB
1. large, big ,short,great,long,giant,small,tiny,strong , thin,….
2. reach, up to,speed, kilometre,hour,second,minute,metre,mile, per, fast,slow…
3.tall people; easy to reach sth, waste coth
short pepole : smart quick,difficult to reach sth.
Finish the Exs in the SB
Step 4 speaking
ask the students to work in pairs to have a dissussion
Period 3 Reading（一）
1. Train the students reading ability especially the skills of summarizing and scanning.
2. Study and have a good grasp of some keywords and phrases.
3. Learn to analyze some difficult long sentences.
Step1. Pre –reading : answer the questions in the Sb
1.Who was Sir Hugh Beaver? _________________
2.When was the first edition of Guinness Book of World Records published? ____________
Match the general idea of each paragraph.
1. Chinese record
2. The first edition of Guinness Book of World Record
3. Records from the world of sports
4. Records of different categories
5. How to set a record?
6. Why are people so interested in records?
Para. 1 ___________
Para. 2 ___________
Para. 3 ___________
Para. 4 ___________
Para. 6 ____________
Step 3 carefully reading
1. Who got the idea to write the Guinness Book of World Records? ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬_____________________
2.When was the first edition of the Guinness Book of World Records published? ____________
3. How are records collected in the book? Please give 3 examples.
4. Why are people so interested in world records?
5. How can you try to set a record?
Step 4 Match each of the sentence below with a paragraph in the reading.
A .The Guinness Book of World Records is popular because people enjoy reading about strange facts and exciting achievements. ____________________
B.The editors of the book collect all the records and put them into different groups. __________
C.Sir Hugh Beaver decided to write the book as the result of an argument with a friend. _______
D.Even though the records themselves are amazing, the stories of the people who set the records are often even more interesting. ___________
E.A new Guinness world record will only be accepted if it is safe and has been done according to the rules. _______________
F.“I just love reading about people who do amazing things, such as swimming a long river or running across a country. The stories inspire me and are fun to read. __________
Step 5 T or F.
1. The Guinness company began to the Guinness Book of World Records in the 1950s. ( )
2. More than 60,000 new records are printed in the book each year. ( )
3. An Englishman balanced a small car weighing 159.6 kilogrammes on his head for 33 seconds.
4. Lance Armstrong’s speed record is more impressive than his struggle against his disease. ( )
5.The records that are dangerous to the person who is attempting it or to others are not allowed in the book. ( )
6. The records in the Guinness Book of World Records are including different areas of people’s life. ( )
Step 6 post- reading
Answer the following questions.
1. How did Sir Hugh Beaver come up with the idea for Guinness Book of World Records?
2 .What Guinness record were set in Urumqi and Hong Kong?
3. How long is the longest moustache in the world?
4. What are the categories in Guinness Book of World Records?
5. Why are Lance Armstrong’s records special?
6. What types of record attempts are not allowed?
7. Why do you think many people are interested in world records?
How much do you know about Guinness and the world record?
If you want to set a record, what kind of record would you like to?
Period 4 Reading（二）
Useful words and language points
1. conclude vt. conclude that…. conclusion n.
come to the conclusion that... 所得结论是..., 断定
draw the conclusion___________________/ leap / jump to a conclusion__________________
/in conclusion = lastly ______________
eg: In conclusion I’ d like to say that you did it very well. ____________________________.
2.set sth. down _________________
eg: Why don’t you __________________(写下你的观点)on paper?
set sb. down______________
eg: ①The bus stopped to set down an old lady. ___________________________.
②I’ll set you down on the corner of the street. ____________________________.
set about sth./doing sth.________________＝set out to do /set off _______________/ set aside _________________＝put away /set foot in/on ________/set fire to sth./set sth on fire ______________/set up ____________/be set in _____________
3.a length of 1.6 metres_____________
a length of wood______________/for a length of time____________/at length__________/
at full length_____________
4.with an area of 40 hectares_________________
at a speed of 60 miles per hour_____________/at a price of $5 per kilogram___________
/at a distance of 30 metres________________/with great speed____________/in the distance________________
5.accounts of strange facts _________________
a full account of his plan_________________/from/by all accounts_____________/on account of______________/take …into account_______________/take no account of _____________/account for_________________
6. keep track of sb./ sth. _________________
eg: It’s hard to keep track of all one’s old school friends. _______________________
lose track of ______________
eg: lose track of time 说不准现在的确切时间
①天平 eg: Have you brought something to weigh the flesh? A balance?
②平衡 eg: balance of nature keep/lose one’s balance 谐调，匀称
eg: All the parts of the building are in perfect balance. 余额
eg: I must check my bank balance. v. 使……保持平衡
eg: How long can you balance on one foot? 结算
eg: balance an account / one’s books 结帐 等价，抵消
eg: This year’s profits will balance our previous losses.
Stand still !_______________/stand by _________________/to stand by one's promise __________________/stand down___________________/ stand for________________/ stand in______________/ stand up__________________/ stand up for____________________
eg: Will the charge stand up in court? ________________________
1) 在……旁边He lives next to me. ____________________
2) 跟在……之后 Next to skiing her favorite sport was ice-hockey. ______________________
3） 几乎，近于next to impossible _______________ /next to last______________
10. in the first place_______________
in the last place_______________/in the next place______________/ in place of___________ /in place_____________/ in one’s place______________/out of place_______________
eg: The large print makes for easier reading.___________________________
Does early rising make for good health? ___________________________.
9. a dozen of ____________a dozen (of) eggs但 a dozen of those apples /a dozen of them
二十四 _______________三十六 ______________
eg: I’ve bought a dozen of pencils for my son. _________________________.
I want four dozen (of) eggs. __________________________.
dozens of =several / a few / some dozens of ________________/by the dozen________/ in dozens___________
The topic of the meeting _______________________________in the following ten years.
When walking on a high wire, you should ______________________your body moves in the air.
12.burst into cheers________________
burst into + n.= burst out + doing
eg:burst into tears= burst out crying___________burst into laughter=burst out laughing_______
13.set a record _______________
record vt.记录，录制 n 记录；唱片（注意读音）
keep a record ____________/set a new record ____________/break/beat a record_________ /make a new record ___________ /keep a record of ____________/make e record ___________
14.in a row _________________ /in rows _____________
eg: China women volleyball team won five champions in a row in the 1980s.
They planted the trees in rows. _____________________
15. live to be _____________
She lived to be 80. ___________________.
Eat to live, but don’t live to eat. __________________________.
类似结构：prove /turn to be…证明是；结果是
16.diagnose sb. with a disease ___________________
be diagnosed. with a disease ___________________
Period 5 Word study &Grammar
Period 6 Integrating skills
1.How did many teenagers discover the skatebord? ___________________
2.Does the skatebord belong to an extreme sport or regular sport? __________________
Step 2 Read the passage and answer the questions on page 1
Step 3 More words to describe people
enthusiastic/curious/experienced /cautious/brave/delighted /interested/outgoing/friendly /energetic/ wise /skillful /responsible /kind /athletic/ powerful
thin/slim/ a broad face,/ wide eyes/ short
beautiful /pretty /lovely/handsome/naughty /healthy /foolish /stupid /silly /clever /smart /wise /bright / diligent /intelligent /lazy /hard working,
He is …meters high/tall/in height
good-looking/ funny-looking/ strong-looking /ugly-looking /ordinary-looking
blue-eyed/ white-eyed /warm-hearted/ light-hearted /kind-hearted /absent-minded /be in good or poor condition /strong-tempered /bad-tempered /near-sighted/ far-sighted
Step 4 Language points
1. As a result of /Because of /On account of /Owing to /Due to
He was late due to thick fog =He was late_______ thick fog =He was late_______ thick fog =He was late _______thick fog =He was late __________thick fog.
2. head vi. ____________head down to ____________更常用 head for
①When I saw the car_______________(向我开来), I stepped aside.
②Clouds are gathering. I think we’d better________________（向旅馆开去） in case it starts to rain.
3. Skillful adj.灵巧的，熟练的 Skilled 熟练的，有技能的
be skillful at /in =be skilled in/at
善于绘画be skillful at __________ 熟练的工人a ___________ worker
4. permit V. permission n.
with /without one’s permission_______________ permit sb. to do sth._______________
He was permitted__________ outside after finishing his homework.
A. play B.playing C. to play D. plays
5.have been around 遍布全球（各地）；深入人心
6. familiar (v.) familiarity n. 熟悉，亲密
be familiar with sth. ____________________/sb. be familiar with sb._______________
sth. be familiar to sb. _____________________
① Han Hong __________________(为… 所熟悉 )young fans.
7.A new generation of sports is capturing the hearts and minds of people who are willing to try something new. 新一代的体育运动占据了想尝试新鲜事物的人们的所有心思。
capture: vt. 捕获；占领；赢得
① Our task was to capture a number of these monkeys alive._________________________.
②He captured first place in the men’s broad jump with a leap of 7.51 meters.
1.in a soccer career ____________
2.settle an argument about ___________________
3.be sent into ____________________
1. I won’t think ___of him because of his shortcomings. He is a good boy afterall.
A. much B. little C. any less D. any more
2. ----Which share is meant for me?
----You can take ______ half. They are exactly the same.
A. this B. any C. each D. either
3. This book is written in _____ easy English _____ beginners can understand.
A. such ; that B. so; that C. such; as D. too; that
4. What a pity! I missed meeting my boss at the airport because my car was_____ in the traffic jam.
A. broken up B. kept back C. held up D. kept up
5. The girl seldom, if ______, turned to her brother for protection.
A. never B. ever C. always D. then
6. ----What a hot day! Have you had a drink?
----Yes, but I’d like to have _______ after class.
A. it B. another C. that D. one
7. If you keep practicing your son in football, he ______ to be a famous player.
A. wants B. hopes D. wishes D. promises
8. This crop does not do well in soils ____the one for which it has been specially developed.
A. outside B. other than C. beyond D. rather than
9. --- Excuse me, may I ask you some questions?
--- Sorry, I’m too busy and haven’t got even a minute to __________.
A. spend B. spare C. share D. stop
10. If you want to see a doctor, you fix a date with him ahead of time. That is a common ________ in the USA.
A. sense B. rule C. practice D. reality
11. ----＄500, but that is my last offer.
----OK, it is a _________.
A. cost B. price C. reward D. deal
12. This book is said to be a special one, which ________ many events not found
in other history books.
A. writes B. covers C. prints D. reads
13. I have been studying computer for several years and I still ________.
A. have B. do C. have been D. am
14. ----Remember the first time we met, Jim?
----Of course I do. You ________ in the library.
A. were reading B. had read C. have read D. read
15. As senior 3 students, it is the most important to _______ a good state of mind in face of failure.
A. keep up B. keep on C. keep out D. keep off
16. ----Did you visit the famous museum?
----No. We _________ it, but we spent too much time shopping.
A. could have visited B. must have visited
C. can’t have visited D. shouldn’t have visited
17. ----I rang you at about ten, but there was no reply.
----Oh, that was probably _____ I was seeing the doctor.
A. when B. why C. what D. that
18. ----Could I use yours?
----I’m sorry, it isn’t here. I’d get it for you _____ I could remember who borrowed it.
A. except that B. now that C. if only D. even though
19. Steven has a lot of work to ______ in the office since he has been
away for quite a few days.
A. take up B. make up C. work out D. carry out
20. A fifteen- year-old girl came_____to the bus stop only ____ the
bus had gone.
A. running, to find B. to run, to find C. and run, found D.running, finding
21. The taxi had to _______ because the traffic light had turned red.
A. set up B. shut up C. catch up D. pull up
22. Is this research center ____ we visited the modern equipment last year?
A. where B. that C. the one that D. which
23. She is wondering ______ to deal with next.
A. what B. which C. how D. why
24. ----Have you seen _____ pen? I left it here this morning.
----Is it ____ black one? I think I saw it somewhere.
A. a, the B. the, the C. the, a D. a, a
25. I kept this picture _____ I can see it every day as it reminds me of
my university days.
A. in which B. where C. when D. whether
26. The boss _________ 30 dollars from my salary without any good reason.
A. brought down B. kept back C. cut off D. held up
27. ----which one can I take?
----You can take ______ of them; I’ll keep none.
A. both B. any C. neither D. all
28. ----Did you give him the book?
----Yes. I gave it to him _______ I saw him.
A. once B. hurriedly C. while D. directly
29. We have reached the point _____ a change is needed.
A. which B. when C. that D. where
30. ----May I go and play with Tom this afternoon, Mum?
----No. You can’t go out _____ your homework is being done.
A. before B. as C. until D. after
实践证明经常访问无忧英语教育网 www.51education.net ,能迅速提高你的英语学习能力!积沙成塔,不断提高! 本站所提供的所有信息仅供学校课堂教学及英语学习者学习研究之用，其著作权归原作者及媒体所有。
1-5 CDCCB 6-10 BDBBC 11-15 DBDAA 16-20 AACBA 21-25 DAADB 22-30 BDDDB